Good article by Ross DeVol from Heartland Florida about the importance of entrepreneurs and small businesses to having a vibrant local economic recovery.
Heartland Forward’s report lays out specific ways that cities can—and should—focus on creating environments where new, growing firms can thrive. A brief look at these suggested actions:
- Improve attitudes toward entrepreneurs.
- Enable dealmakers.
- Promote early stage risk capital networks.
- Establish and fund entrepreneurial support organizations.
- Link in corporations.
- Employ new real estate and service provider models.
- Demand university entrepreneurial engagement.
- Position government as a central hub for entrepreneurial resources.
- Build and enhance quality of place and amenities.